Lostock Junction signal box was a brick & timber box opened by the L&YR in 1899 in
connection with the quadrupling of the line in the Bolton direction,the box was equipped
with a 90 lever L&Y frame fitted in the front of the box
In the early 80s the box had all its spare levers removed (63 in total) & the gaps
boarded over,leaving just the 27working levers remaining.
In 1987 & right up to closure the methods of operation at Lostock Jct were, absolute
block to Bullfield West SB in the Bolton direction, absolute block to Blackrod junction
SB in the Preston direction & absolute block to Crow Nest Junction SB in the Wigan
Lostock Junction also remotely released the intermediate ground frame at Westhoughton,
to provide access to the Metal Box factory there (since Westhoughton Goods Yard signal
box closed on the 16th april 1972).
Lostock Junction SB closed along with Bullfield west SB on the 21st JANUARY 1990
under the final stage of the Manchester Piccadilly area resignalling.